Friday, April 6, 2018

3 April 2018 - Day 31 - In Brisbane


Alphonse prepared a huge mug of coffee before I left for the airport to pick up friends who were arriving from Mumbai and Delhi to join me on the New Zealand leg of Record Drive. Alphonse had warned me that time taken to reach the airport could be more than normal due to ongoing road works. To factor in the delay I left earlier than I would otherwise have. On the way I encountered an interesting signal that turned green for just a second or so, so that only one car from each lane will move on every 15 seconds. I reached the international airport and reached the short stay parking area without any hassle. I was able to secure a slot using my credit card; I was most concerned about the payment method.
A large number of volunteers were around in the airport to receive delegates arriving for Commonwealth Games starting in the Gold Coast from 5 April. The flights arrived on time but my friends were delayed for checking bags. I had booked an apartment in close proximity to the city called Anville Court. Last evening the owner of the apartment had confirmed that it was ready for occupation. But when I reached there I found that the apartment had not been cleaned and readied yet. I had to call up the owner and get them to send the cleaning person pronto because even the toilet was not in a condition to be used and fresh linen had not been placed for use. The cleaning lady, Nikki, arrived in less than an hour and profusely apologized on behalf of her company and said that such mess up normally never happens. The long weekend was to blame, I guess.
  
After breakfast of muesli and milk I drove on to the first sightseeing location of the day. I set navigation on Google Maps to Mount Coot-tha, which is the highest mountain peak in Brisbane at 290 meters above sea level. I drove through some glorious winding roads with tall trees and grass lining both sides. After driving about 25 km Google Maps indicated I had arrived at my destination with just a couple of wooden houses in the vicinity. There was no Lookout Point I was looking for. Then it struck me. I had not asked the Maps to take me to the lookout point. When I set navigation to that destination I was shown a destination another 20 km away, which I realized is the other side of the mountain! So much for thinking that Google Maps knows what you want to see and where you want to go. Destination must be specific. Else, you will land up on the opposite side of a mountain! The lookout point gives panoramic views of the city from one end to the other with the Brisbane River snaking through the city enveloping it in its very bosom. At a vantage point a plaque has been placed indicating landmarks of the city, the bridges and various developments.  The Mount itself takes the name from the stingless bee - ku-ta – whose bee the locals used to come here to collect. There are many walking and cycling trails in the mountain region.


Mount Coot-tha also plays host to the Botanic Garden and the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium. The 55 hectare Garden is a relatively young one, less than 50 years old. The information center arranged a conducted tour for an hour with an amiable Jan leading the group. She pointed out trees and plants that are native to Australia and those of African and Indian origin. The Bonzai collection was indeed delectable. I was always under the impression that growth is stunted using man-made means, till this center showed how bonsai were the creation of hostile natural elements. The staghorn fern and hundreds of other varieties of cacti, boabs and flowering plants made for a fascinating array in the Garden. The cute Japanese Garden is primarily meant for serene contemplation. Large garden lizards were everywhere, even a python. There is a separate domed enclosure which is kept in more humid conditions to house trees and plants that require that kind of environment. Jan talked of the Foxtail Palm that was a native only of an Island till a Conservator of that region, against rules in force, cloned it in his background and paid with his job for such ‘unnatural’ propagation. The Foxtail palm is now seen almost everywhere in the world.



The Lone Pine Koala sanctuary is the largest koala sanctuary in the world set in a 50-acre ground. The sanctuary was founded in 1927 with just two koalas in them, Jack and Jill. The entrance ticket rate is a bit steep at AUD 36 for an adult per entry, while the annual entry fee is just AUD 70! At the ticket counter I was told that the slots for holding the koala had been sold out for the day and that I could only take pictures of patting the koala. The large enclosure has hundreds of koalas in them, of various ages. Most of them were either eating leaves that were strung out on wooden sticks or taking naps. There are a number of parrots, cockatoos, bats, kangaroo, kookaburras and owls in various cages set to a natural environment. It was education that the Tawny Frogmouth is not really an owl, but is misunderstood to be one because of its looks. There is a huge enclosure with over 100 kangaroos in them that visitors can freely roam around and feed. Many of them, particularly the wallabies, are curious and friendly. In one instance I found a wallaby with its head inside a paper packet held by a young visitor, foraging for food. The same enclosure has a few Emus that seemed most unafraid of the proximity of humans. Maybe they had got used to the attention. I had missed the Tasmanian Devil while on mu visit to Tasmania. I was happy to see a couple of them in this sanctuary. However, it was so sad to note that they are victims of Devil cancer that spreads with one biting the other! The wombat is another resident of the sanctuary, but being a very shy creature was seen sleeping in its enclosure. Freshwater crocodiles were also in a pond in the sanctuary. Platypus, the only mammal that lays eggs, is a relatively new arrival in the premise, being there for just 8 years. There is a feeding area for rainbow lorikeets that fly in there for their nectar tinged meals.

I walked through the Roma Street Park to the King George Square which housed the historic Town Hall. Two large bronze sculptures of lions guard the entrance to the Square, which was originally the Albert Square and was renamed in memory of the King who passed away in 1936. At the time of my visit the Square had a temporary public art installation of “One Million Stars”, which has brought to life the artist’s vision of life in the artwork contributed by expert weavers from all over the world, signifying light, hope and peace. The Albert Street Uniting Church is a heritage listed site very near the Square.


Canadian Club and Ramen chicken noodles with baked beans was the night cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...