Monday, April 11, 2016

DRIVING UP TO THE STARTING BLOCK – COCHIN TO JAMMU – 13 to 20 August 2015


A lot of thought went into scheduling the Trans Himalayan Expedition. I anticipated it to be the toughest I had attempted thus far. The route was given by Limca Book of Records, which included passage through Nepal and Bhutan besides the Indian states of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam and Arunachal Pradesh. The fact that it could not be undertaken along with the South East Asian Odyssey, as originally planned, did weigh a bit on the mind. In Malayalam there is an old saying, which roughly translated means, you slip once and you shall slip thrice. Had I slipped once before and was I fated to slip thrice on this expedition? Once negative thoughts take root strong measures are needed to root them out. I took control eventually after I decided to go through with the expedition. But I wanted to keep the expedition low key. Why? The fear of failure. What will others say if you are unable to complete the expedition as planned? I was quite surprised at my own train of thoughts. Never before had I felt this way. Previously, I had plunged into the unknown without a care in the world, undertaking even international expeditions that had never been attempted before. And here I was, now, quaking a bit. Why? Success, and that people always like winners? Or, was it that you didn’t want those to win who wanted you to fail? I understood why debutantes take on the fastest bowlers and played their natural game while the experienced batsmen played conservative cricket and were sometimes boring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 7 - Taipei to Mumbai via Hong Kong – 30 March 2024

Keeping in mind that the Easter weekend could see massive footfalls at the airport I checked out of the hotel by 6 am, foregoing the paid-fo...